How to conduct interviews and get to know your target group better
With RapidUsertests you can not only run UX tests, but also conduct user research, in the form of interviews.
User research is important to
- collect and validate the requirements of the target groups.
- design a product that is relevant to the target groups.
- find out what your target groups want and need.
- to learn how you should develop and market your product.
- understand and develop new target groups.
- validate initial ideas, including individual features.
You are still at the beginning of your project or want to further develop your product or marketing strategy? Then you should definitely conduct interviews with your target group first. Here's how it works:
First, select from our Booking Page that you would like to conduct an interview:
Next, you determine how many people you want to interview (guidelines for the appropriate sample size can be found here), how long the interviews should last and how many viewers will be present.
After booking, you can choose the dates when you are available. Be sure to select more possible dates than you have booked testers for, so that we can find enough participants for you as quickly as possible.
We will send you an email as soon as a tester has confirmed. You will also see all confirmed dates in your dashboard.
The test concept / The interview guide
Be sure to prepare an interview guide before your first interview.
Some of our expert tips:
- Ask open and neutral questions: The wording should not give any clues about the expected content of the answer. Also, the question should not contain any implicit assumptions or lead the respondent in any direction.
- Don't settle for the first answer: "Why?" should be your favorite word for the interview; after all, you want to get to the root of the reasons for certain behaviors or attitudes.
For even more tips, check out our guide "How to ask the right questions in remote interviews and usability tests."
After you have booked the interviews and entered your available timeslots, we will fill them with participants as soon as possible.
If an appointment does not suit you, you can cancel it in the dashboard.
If a participant cancels the appointment, we try to find a replacement for this appointment. If this is not possible, we will look for participants for your other available dates.
You can start the session up to 10 minutes beforehand from your dashboard. Before starting, make sure that you and your spectators are using the latest version of Chrome or Firefox.
Both participants and interviewers will go through a microphone check before the session starts to prevent technical issues.
Participants will start their test approximately 5 minutes ahead of time. Only when both sides have started the test does the session begin.
It may take a few minutes for the session to be established.
The session will be automatically recorded and uploaded to your dashboard afterwards.
Click on the text "End session" in the upper left corner. This will end the session.
Please note, the session cannot be restored if the session is ended early.
Now it can take up to 30min until the video is created and made available.
Up to 30 viewers can participate in each session, and they can also take notes within the tool. In addition, spectators can talk to each other during the interview.
In order for them to participate in the session, they must first register or log in to RapidUsertests. If they already have guest access to your tests, they can simply use those credentials.
The interviewee will not see the spectators.
During the session, you or a spectator can take notes in our tool, as well as tag and time-stamp your comments. This way, you can quickly find the relevant parts of the video later and prioritize your insights, which saves you a lot of time in later analysis.
Not only do you have the ability to share live interviews with spectators, but you can also share your insights with your colleagues after the sessions.
- Edit a highlight video: Easily cut together a highlight video from all sessions that you can share via link. We explain how to do this here.
- Share video clips and comments: You can also share individual video clips and comments via a link.
- Give guest access: Want to share all the insights from an interview with someone or even evaluate the sessions collaboratively? Just give a guest access.
100% satisfaction guarantee
Our interview participants go through a screening process, know the principle of research interviews, are used to thinking out loud and receive several reminders before the appointment. If despite this, a participant does not show up for the session or if you are dissatisfied with a participant, you will receive a replacement free of charge.
If you are dissatisfied with the interviewee, give a negative rating at the end of the interview and briefly describe what bothered you.
If the participant does not show up for the session, you will be given the opportunity to request a replacement a few minutes after the session begins.